Wednesday, April 13, 2011

An Extra Large Dose of Generosity

We can't cure Owen, or make him walk and talk, or know when seizures are coming so we can protect him from hurting himself, or even diagnose him... BUT, what we can do is love him and support his family so they have the strength to get through the challenges each day brings. After last weekend, it is undeniably apparent that so many people are eager to do something, anything to help Owen. I knew this little guy was special, but I didn't know the magnitude of the effect he has on people... LOTS of people. Family, friends, co-workers, friends of friends, friends of family, family of family, friends and family of co-workers, and strangers all felt the urge to help. I can't begin to explain what this has meant to Kiley, Gavin, and their families. The last total for raffle sales, donations, and shirt sales I heard about was over $22,000... absolutely unbelievable! I can't speak for everyone, but I imagine there weren't many people who were involved in this process and were not changed by it. It was an extraordinary display of kindness and generosity.

While this was a completely unexpected outcome, I would like to add that every bit was well-deserved. The heartbreak that Kiley and Gavin have had to endure is a lot for two parents. At the same time, I don't know two people who work harder at getting the best care for their child and doing whatever it takes for him to have his best chance at normalcy while constantly trying to make him feel comfortable, happy, and loved. It would be easy for them to keep asking "why me?" and become overwhelmed by the seriousness and the "what if's" of everything that's been thrown at them. They've somehow managed to stay focused on their family and their children's well-being. I think the outcome of this fundraiser is just as much a testament to them as it is to the kind people who helped. A heartfelt thanks to everyone who did.

A few pictures from the weekend









No comments:

Post a Comment